It might happen that your camera isn’t working in Windows 10, it is probably related to drivers that are missing after an update. Another problem could be that your anti-virus program is blocking the camera or, maybe, your privacy settings don’t allow camera access for some apps.
We recommend you to try to restart the system before you continue reading this article, if you are lucky it may solve your problem with the camera.
In the following pages you will find some solutions if you are having trouble with your camera after a Windows update. As a suggestion, follow the order, try with every solution of the followings:
Give your apps permission
After an update in Windows 10, it can be necessary to review if the apps have access to the camera. Sometimes it can happen that they don´t have default access. So let´s do this: select Settings > Privacy > Camera. Then turn on Allow access to camera on this device.
Allow access to the camera
You might prefer to allow access for individual apps, to do this you should go to Allow apps to access your camera. If you cannot find these options, contact the administrator of the device to enable this setting for you.
To choose which apps you want to access to the camera you can scroll down and turn apps on one by one.
Check your antivirus software
You could also review your antivirus software settings, you could find that it can be blocking access to your camera or permission to use your webcam. What you can do if you need extra help is to visit your antivirus software company’s website.
Check for an outdated webcam driver
An outdated webcam driver can be the cause of the problem with your camera in Windows 10. Follow the next steps:
- Select the Start button, enter device manager, select Device Manager from the search results.
- Go to the setting and search for Cameras, Imaging devices or Sound, video and game controllers.
- Right-click the name of your webcam, and then select Properties.
- Select Driver, then select the Driver Details button, and search a file name that includes stream.sys. If it’s there it means that your webcam was designed before Windows 7, you will have to replace it with a newer webcam.
- In the case that you don’t find a file name that includes stream.sys, try rolling back your webcam driver (see in the next section).
Roll back your webcam driver
- In Device Manager right-click your webcam, then select Properties.
- Go to the Driver tab, select Roll Back Driver, and then choose Yes. You will notice that some drivers don’t provide this option, if your driver doesn’t have it go to the next step.
- When the roll back is complete, restart your computer, and then open the Camera app again and check if it is now working.
- If all the steps followed until here have not worked you could try to uninstall your webcam driver and scan for hardware changes.
Unistall your webcam driver and scan for hardware changes
- Go to Device Manager, press right-click in your webcam, and then select Properties.
- Select Unistall in the Driver tab, select Uninstall and then Delete the driver software for this device, once this is done press OK.
- Again in Device Manager, go to the Action menu, select Scan for hardware changes. Once the scan is done, reinstall updated drivers. Then restart your PC, and then try opening the Camera app.
- If you have done all the step detailed before and you still cannot find the solution we recommend you to look for help on your webcam company’s website.
Cannot find your camera in Devise Manager?
If your camera isn’t listed in Device Manager, first you can try connecting your camera in a different port on your device. If it doesn’t work, follow these steps:
- Go to Device Manager, then to the Action menu and select Scan for hardware changes. Once the scan is done install updated drivers and restart your computer. Once again, try opening the Camera app.
- If your webcam still doesn’t work, you could try visiting the webcam manufacturer’s website.
Finally, as your last option, you can learn how to configure your camera privacy settings in Windows 10: you can go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Camera. Then you can chose your preferred setting for Allow apps to access your camera, you can also choose which apps can access your camera, turn the individual settings for apps On or Off.
This is the end of the article, I hope that you can all solve your trouble with the camera once you have updated your device to Windows 10. Try every solution and you will probably solve it!